free hit counter Snacks, please!: The Mean Mary Ellen

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Mean Mary Ellen

This is the au pair and this is my sad story of working for a woman who thinks I should limit myself to 250 cell-phone minutes a month.

Last week, Mary Ellen made me cry. Here she comes, sashaying through the door (dressed far too casually for office work, in my opinion), after 8 hours of... what does she do? I have no idea, but I know it doesn't involve baby poop. (Editor -- It does however, involve a whole lot of bullshit...) And this is what she tells me, "I don't want to come home from work and wash your lunch dishes or pick hot dogs off the floor."

And then she says, "Can you work on that?"

Unbelievable! So I went to Starbucks, of course. (Without doing my lunch dishes.) And when I came back, I think she had been drinking. (Editor -- That is true.) I ask her, "What are my obligations here?" Well, the more she says, the worse it gets! She says she is not demanding. (A joke? I don't understand the humor in this country.) But then she says, and I must think this is the booze talking, "I don't want to do your work."

I cried, of course. But do you think she brought me a Kleenex? No! She walked out of the room! So, fine. I come from a country where the people have suffered a great deal and I know how to make like the martyr. (Editor -- Whaa? You're Italian?!) She should not think that she can console me with Oreo cookies, hazelnut coffee and Valentine's Day chocolates. (Editor -- So that's the price of clean dishes. A bargain, I think!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

She should clean up without being bribed....And the editor should have been tougher a whole lot earlier!

She'll learn when you disconnect the hot water from her shower. Remind her what it's like at home.

February 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sooooo hope Opie never ever reads this blog. Aiie. try not to make her cry. She does wipe your babies' tushies.

KQ

February 13, 2008 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I know. I hope she doesn't read it either! That would be very very bad. And the babies DO love her. They do, they do, they do.
But... today David emptied the baby's garbage and left the empty basket in the kitchen. Instead of returning it to their room, or using the garbage in the bathroom, she threw the dirty diapers on their floor.
What's up with that??

February 13, 2008 at 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having "Team Mary Ellen" and "Team Opie" shirts printed up and put on Cafepress. I am of course wearing a "Team Mary Ellen" shirt.

February 15, 2008 at 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mаny television set viewers were аblе tо grаb the infomercials that aԁvertiseԁ thе Aurawave anԁ itѕ ability as a TENS paіn
in thе nесκ гeliеf, and thе incrеasеd musсulаrіty timbre as аn addеd іnсentiѵe.
Eхploіtation a TENS ρaіnful senѕation bаckup, and since ѕo, thе grocеry stoге for it haѕ about no sloρe effects, ωhісh enhаncе the tone
of health.

February 21, 2013 at 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ρain sensatіon іnterfeгes wіth ouг power to springу a noгmаl life-style, anԁ can bе ill-used
to help oneself conveу сlоѕe to ρainfulneѕs аsѕuagement haѕ sеveral aԁѵantageѕ.


Ηerе іs my site aurawave tens

February 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home