free hit counter Snacks, please!: Lucy plans ahead

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lucy plans ahead

"Maybe someday we'll get a dog," I say to Lucy. "A dog?" she repeats with great interest. "But not now," I hurriedly add. "There is somebody in this house who would not like it at all! And that's Kitty Cat!" "Oh yes," Lucy agrees. "She would say, 'oh no, oh no, oh no!'" Lucy pauses. "But maybe when Kitty Cat dies... then we could get a dog." "That's true. Maybe then," I say." Silence. "But I think I'm going to die when Kitty Cat dies because we are both 3," Lucy points out. "Oh no! You're going to live a lot longer than Kitty Cat! She's a cat and you're a person. She might live to be 15, but you'll live to be 100!" I tell her. "And then you'll be dead," Lucy adds. "Yes. I will be dead," I say sadly. "And then I will be a Mom," Lucy says. "Yes! You will be a mom!" "And the babies will be big sisters!" Lucy continues. "Wha? No, the babies will not be big sisters. They'll still be your little sisters." "No. They won't." "Yes, they will." "No, they won't." "Yes, they will, Lulu. Even when you're 42 and they're 40, you'll still be their big sister." Silence. "But, when you are dead, I will be their mom. I will take care of them," she explains. "Ohhh. Well. What a relief! I'm glad you'll take care of them," I say. "But you need to show me where things are," Lucy says. "You mean like where the grocery store is?" I ask confused. "Yes, and where the shoe store is. They will need shoes," Lucy says. "Okay. I'll show you. And you're going to cook dinner then?" "I don't know how to cook dinner!" Lucy protests. "Well, you can go to restaurants," I assure her. David steps in: "Mommy can teach you how to cook!" "No," Lucy says flatly. "We're going to restaurants."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Lucy's a smart cookie.

September 13, 2008 at 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Lucy I'll be her friend if she takes me to a restaurant.


Jane
from Florida

September 14, 2008 at 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I imagine there is no world quite so fantastic as Lucy's brain.

September 15, 2008 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Momma Trish said...

Hello. I found you through The Eleventh. So far, very much enjoying reading your blog.

I have a 3-year old too. They have such wonderful imaginations, don't they?

Anyway, excellent post. I love how you handled her planning for your eventual demise. How nice that she's thinking ahead like that.

September 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home