free hit counter Snacks, please!: My name is Mary Ellen and I have a problem.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My name is Mary Ellen and I have a problem.

I am addicted to Scrabulous!

This is just one of the (...do I have to say it? YES! That is part of recovery!) ...one of the, ahem, 14 games that I am currently playing. (And seriously, I'll play more. I'm just afraid to annoy my few friends on Facebook. Anyone?)

More to the point (see above), what the hell am I going to do with four E's, a Q and a Z? These are the worst tiles ever! But, if I stop to swap, Noah B. will eat me alive. As it is, he's got a ridiculous lead. He opened with a 74-point word! Seriously, if there was a Cooperstown for Scrabble players, Noah B. would be in it. (And it galls me to death! Because he can't even spell! Once, when we used to work together, he asked me for help with wrist.)

Anyway, I'm actually not very good -- although my opponents always say (so graciously!) that they're just lucky. Part of the problem is, I do love some words more than others. I got very excited when I found NOODLE in my assortment. I adore that word. (I wanted to name one of the girls Fionnuala -- and call her Noodle...) But, if I were a smarter player, I might have at least attempted to find a higher-scoring word. Points, shmoints! Who can argue with the poetry of a WORDY on the Scrabulous board!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby is sympathetic. She refuses to play scrabble with me because she likes words too much and I butcher them with all my cheap plays.

Noah

April 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite your threats and Friday deadline, I still remain safely outside your scrabulous cult.
Hah!

April 4, 2008 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Maybe I should play with Abby.
I just sacrificed a few points to get COURAGE on the board. (In one of my 16 other games...)

Shelly C -- Is this a work ethic thing? Because I am buying Cynthia's theory that Scrabble is actually professional development for those of us in the writing/editing biz!

April 4, 2008 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Reg Oignon said...

I did totally get lucky tiles in our game. And I will not stage an intervention -- I'm really enjoying Scrabulous and checking every couple of minutes after I post my words to see if you've taken your turn!

April 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also a closet Scrabulous fanatic. I'm usually not patient enough to play against an actual living being, unless it's Blitz. I'm never happy if I score less than 600 in solitare, and it annoys me when the game,no,the webpage, times out if I take a pee break. Scrabulous, Jungle Gin, Pinochle, and Addiction Solitare on Pogo are my drugs of choice.

April 10, 2008 at 2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's have a Scrabble tournament!

In the fine tradition of morale boosters that also kill productivity--like contests that have days off as the prize.

April 10, 2008 at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home