free hit counter Snacks, please!: Hidden treasure!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hidden treasure!

I knew a couple in West Palm Beach that found thousands of dollars hidden in the attic of their house. It is possible! It does happen! Especially if you buy an old-lady house, like David and I got last year.

So I've been hopeful that we might find treasure. And...well, so far we've found 400 bricks buried in the backyard, as well as a St. Francis statue, a half-dozen concrete squirrels, an assortment of flammable liquids, and countless hand shovels. (But just the blades, the handles have long rotted away.) Hidden in the attic, David found a stack of bodice-ripping romance novels from the 1950s.

We know they were gardeners. (A wealthy person's habit? Hm.) We know they liked to keep their romance on a shelf. Based on incoming mail, we also know they contributed cash to public radio and Catholic causes. The Catholic mail! Jesus, Joseph and Mary! Every day we get a personal missive from one dead saint or another. (A miracle, right?)

So, it was quite a surprise when we found the naked people books in the basement. (David was tracking some ancient electrical wiring above a heating duct and...) They purport to be "clinical studies" written by a 1970s psychologist (the well-respected, fully credentialed Dr. Leatherman), replete with black-and-white photos that are all captioned like this, "Figure 7.1 -- The subjects begin to..."

Sigh. Where's the money???

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rats took it!

March 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger The Slacker Mom said...

Our basement is too scary and has strange closets lining one wall (good for hiding bodies?)- I run down for laundry and back up as fast as possible.

March 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Really, if you can't make the connection, you don't deserve the money.

March 26, 2008 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger WriterChickNj said...

Who found thousands of dollars in their attic????
Meanwhile, I just watched Rock of Love2. Why oh why am I watching again? And why didn't Brett just pick Heather??

March 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concrete squirrels? Sign me up. They will go well with the concrete turtle under the bird bath (a gift, I swear). We use it to cover up the used charcoal mine that is our backyard. (Hint to backyard grillers, that stuff doesn't make for compost.)

March 27, 2008 at 5:26 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Auntie P -- I do deserve the money! I do! I would buy a gold gnome table and invite you over for tea and cookies.

Frank -- I suspect you are right.

And Erin -- I bet they're knotty pine closets! Every house that I've ever lived in (almost) has had knotty pine closets and a manual pencil sharpener in the basement.

RR -- Contractors on Holly B's house (that would be our former day slot) found the cash during renovations. Less than $10,000, but definitely more than 2K -- I can't remember the exact number. And then I think they argued with the contractors about who deserved to keep it.

Shelly -- I've got one of the squirrels above my desk! You must have seen it...

March 27, 2008 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Pamela's comment was hilarious! Them scientific study nekkid books is right popular on eBay.

March 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger What A Card said...

Hee, hee! Too funny!

I was in a used book store once an opened up a copy of a Margaret Atwood book. One I already owned, mind you. I have no idea what made me pick it up. And right inside, a Polaroid of a completely naked guy!

Hidden treasure, it's everywhere :)

March 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home