free hit counter Snacks, please!: You are what you eat.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

You are what you eat.

Many years ago, I had breakfast with a hostile school superintendent at an ungodly hour and this is what she ate: "One order of extra-crispy bacon and a small glass of grapefruit juice." A nut, right? It's totally obvious.

So I'm delighted to read Slate's story about Hillary Clinton's eating habits because I completely agree with "French gourmand Jean Antheleme Brillat-Savarin, who in his 1825 work, The Physiology of Taste, wrote, 'Tell me what you eat and I will tell you who you are.'" Turns out Hillary snacks on Boca Burgers (ugh), but also enjoys Middle Eastern food. (A good sign for the Jews?)

So, a little insight into the Snacksplease family:

Mr. David likes Edy's rocky road ice cream -- every night. Self-indulgent? Nutty? You be the judge.

Lucylu likes, no, actually loves dried cranberries, black olives, and chocolate chips. Note the significant absence of any protein (although she does like salami...) I think this means she will be a modern dancer when she grows up.

Margaret likes anything that anybody else is eating. A future journalist? Nah, maybe a lawyer. Aiee! A small state governor!

Josephine likes cookies. She will be a leprechaun.

The Opie likes Oreos specifically. She eats them for breakfast and snacks. In fact, last week, she knocked back a whole pound of them. She also likes Stouffer's French Bread Pepperoni Pizza. What does this mean? It means America is Great!

And me? I've been on a whole-milk plain yogurt kick lately, which feels both indulgent and virtuous at the same time. I'm loving parsnips. And Irish cheddar. And grapefruit. But because I sneer at self-analysis I leave the conclusions to you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum. I subsist on cheese (cheddar is a favorite), Cheerios and soy hotdogs. So in addition to an affinity for foods that start with "ch," I like tofu disguised as meat.

February 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This week I'm eating mostly gruel, but I hope to soon return to eating copious amounts of cheese, peanut butter, broccoli, bananas, and salmon. But not all at once. And I'm waiting and waiting for the organic store to start restocking my favorite South African picante peppers.

February 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger mooley said...

Right now, we are snacking on Mike & Ike's and Good & Plenty's. Sometimes we just squirt whip cream into our mouths.

February 21, 2008 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Hmmm.
Cynthia is really a preschooler with hippie-dippie parents, I think. And Shelly C has been temporary captured by Goldilocks! Hopefully she'll soon return to her extremely well-balanced ways.
And Mooley! I have analyzed your snack habits and concluded that you are...
A NUT!

February 21, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny because it's true. Seriously, I've got a Jell-O snack pack and string cheese in my lunch today.

February 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger The Slacker Mom said...

Irish cheddar, yum. I demolished a package of Oreos this week while I was home alone- never ever buy them but they somehow made it into the basket with the grapefruit, Shredded Wheat and pecan crusted chicken breasts. I always have Grapenuts and Sushi rice on the grocery list, and Daisy sour cream.

February 22, 2008 at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home