free hit counter Snacks, please!: Good-bye, Mrs. Durkin!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Good-bye, Mrs. Durkin!

I'm sick and tired of working! No more I'll dig your taters, no longer I'll be poor! As sure as my name is Barney, I'm off to Californee. Instead of digging taters, I'll be digging lumps of gold!

Yes, I'm going back to work today. But I'm trying not to think of it THAT way. You know, as work. Trust me, it's a lot harder to stay home with three children. Consider this: I have not had a latte in six months. (Actually, I don't drink lattes, but you know what I mean.) And anyway, I want to have a good attitude about it. You know, not think about how I'm abandoning my children, including my beautiful babies, the ones who could well have died and that I'm very very lucky to have at all, to total strangers who might be the kind to watch TV all day -- or much, much worse. Ack!

I am not happy.

All right. Anyway, this marks a fresh start in the office and I am resolving to do things differently and I'm putting these resolutions in writing so that I can be reminded later of my failures:

1) I will get to work early and leave early.

2) I will take a walk during lunch. And I will eat healthy. And I will not spend all my money on tapas.

3) I will try to be "reasonable" when my most excellent copy editor attempts to "make things better." (Also, unbeknownst to her, I will attempt to use the word "splendid" in as many stories as possible. When appropriate, of course.)

4) I will not be caught up in the noise. You know what I mean? I will be like a rock in the Class IV rapids (as my Bermudian sister-in-law says, about coping with her two toddlers, which is, interestingly, not dissimilar to coping with the workplace). I will sit happily in the water, not paying attention to the churning, chattering chaos that streams past. I will say, "Oh, what a pleasant burble! Oh, what a lovely temperature!"

Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Oh no!! But when, oh when, will we find time to gather and kvetch about that horrid burning feeling we get leaving our babies at the front door, screaming, banging on the glass, crying, because they can't stand being torn from us Wonder Moms??

It's our transition week, too, so we're right there with you. Like that Kitty in the Tree poster, Hang in There!

If were weren't such Responsible Workers, we could skip work to bitch and moan over those lattes.

August 29, 2007 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you're always reasonable. At least to my face...

August 29, 2007 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Wonder Moms: Activate! I'll take the form of a 35-year-old woman with a perpetual hair snarl above her left ear. (What is that about??! Am I sleeping funny?) We can storm the Capitol and enact mom-friendly legislation.

(Does this sound like a reasonable person? In my head, I'm quite the crusader for truth, justice and personal metaphor.)

August 30, 2007 at 5:52 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I always felt bad for the Wonder Twin who was always forced to tranfom into, ummm, water. Or ice. Or...water. Pathetic use of Superpowers.

August 30, 2007 at 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home