free hit counter Snacks, please!: The Preschool Dilemma

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Preschool Dilemma

Anybody remember what I said at the beginning of this scavenger treasure hunt? When it comes to preschool next year, I said, with lots of emphasis and meaningful looks, the most important thing is that all three girls go to school in one place. You know, to make it easier on moi.

And what have we achieved???

Hm. Not that.

We've committed our youngest to the Unitarians. I simply can't resist the lure of the contra dance. Plus, I feel like, with their total disregard for authority and fondness for hummus, they'll fit right in. Plus, in all seriousness, it's a half-day program, twice a week. Our other option -- Lucy's current school -- would be four full days. I think that might be a hard transition for the undisciplined.

But what about Lucylu?? So far, there's no spot for her with the godless. I did check out the special ed class at the local elementary school. The teacher? One of those incredible people who perform motorcycle tricks in steel cages at top speeds. But Lucy would be the oldest kid in the class, and the most able, and I'm not sure that'd be so great for her. And, you know, she really does like her current school. Today, ballet. Yesterday, bean seeds and recycling containers. Maybe she should just stay there... there are, after all, naughty boys everywhere.

So we'll need to hire another au pair, which is potentially a good thing. (I have U2 tickets for September! We need a babysitter!) Reading the listings of available gals is a little like reading one of those high-end travel magazine. You think, ohhhh, that would be nice... This one is president of her student council! And this other one has a horse! David says we've "gotten good" at picking au pairs, because our current is so lovely, but he is delusional.

It's just luck, I think.

Speaking of David, I bought his birthday present today!

[STOP READING HONEY!!]

Two David Sedaris tix!

5 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

I love your description of the godless unitarians. hilarious. and too true! doesn't preschool just sound divine? Can't i please go back?

Just a head's up: you never know, it's possible that I might be in the market for a job as an au pair.

I got the e-mail about sedaris today too, but unlike you, I though, OCTOBER? who buys tickets in April for october? I can't manage to plan for Sunday!

But now you've got me worried that all the other sedaris fans have already pounced.

so, thanks!

April 30, 2009 at 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out questionsense.com they have some great questions and information when choosing a preschool -

http://www.questionsense.com/topics/choosing-a-preschool-2

April 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you will like the Unitarians. Is Susan still the director? Are both of you going to co-op?

Any chance your current ap can stay?

Jenn

May 2, 2009 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Good questions...
Our current ap misses your b-friend and will be enrolled in the university this fall. (Education!) Both of us are going to co-op. Two kids requires an awful lot of co-oping! Good thing I don't have a job. Oh wait a second...

May 5, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Daav said...

Godless Unitarians and David Sedaris actually go quite well together in the same breath. Maybe now I'll reconnect with my faith. Wait: How do I really know that I ever lost it? There might never have been any IT to begin with!
PS: Soooo much looking forward to the show. I hope Sedaris doesn't kill himself right beforehand like Spalding Gray did in 2004.

May 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home