free hit counter Snacks, please!: Personal records

Monday, January 5, 2009

Personal records

There's this running blog that I like to read, the appropriately named "Not Born To Run," mostly because it's not so much, "Had a fabulous run today! 6:32/6:12/5:54 -- passed a Ford Mustang like it was stalled!" But more like: "I thought I had about half a mile to go (NOT) which I figured I could do in 5 minutes IF I KILLED MYSELF. 'What's the point,' I thought, 'you've already lost.'"

But...aha! Jeanne (I don't actually KNOW her, but I'm using her first name anyway) already has set a personal record in this new year! Go Jeanne! Interestingly enough, she's not the only one setting PR's (that's runner talk) in 2009.

To wit:

Three (3): Visits to the Smithsonian over five days. That is, dinosaurs, Monet and naked mole rats. Eeeek! Give me that piece of broccoli or I'll bite your tushie and step on your head! (Isn't it great to live in DC?? Or the suburbs of DC, where the parks and libraries are much better funded.)

Four (4): Consecutive days that I have poured whipping cream into our dinners. That's right, WHIPPING CREAM. Featured in turkey tetrazzini, mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, au gratin spuds, and New England clam chowder, which, it must be said, also featured a great deal of bacon fat...

Fourteen (14): The number of slices of salami that Lucy ate, as a bedtime snack, the other night at 9 p.m. "I'm hungryyyy," she called. And I figured that was about right, since she refused the mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, pork chops and spaghetti squash. (Love, love, love spaghetti squash!) She wanted salami, which maybe isn't a great snack before sleep, in terms of GAS PRODUCTION, but eh, she WANTS it (I'm going crazy with the caps tonight) I figured, so okay. "Another one?" I asked, over and again. "That's probably enough," I said, a little queasily, after Slice 8. "Five more!" she insisted. And then, oh what the hell, maybe just one more, please?? "That's it! It's gone!" I lied.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I went to the Smithsonian three times in three days back in 2000 when I was in DC for two weeks reviewing federal grants. That is Mr. Rogers' sweater, Dali's "Last Supper" and first ladies' inaugural ball gowns through the ages. It was wonderful.

January 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I went to the Smithsonian ONE day back in the olden days when I traveled to DC as a ninth grader with my school. That's a moon rock, "Spirit of St. Louis" and a MUCH smaller collection of first ladies' inaugural ball gowns. I think they were even minus a few dino skeletons....but I remember seing a pretty impressive moth collection or something. I have always wanted to go back......

January 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Daav said...

It truly is a miracle Lucy didn't throw up that night. Waking up twice whining for drinks of water was a gift, in retrospect. Listening to her describe the salami swimming around in her tummy the whole next day was an added bonus.

January 5, 2009 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

That was a good dinner- much better than salami at bedtime for sure.

January 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister once gave Gretchen a half package of smoked salmon in response to her requests before realizing that that exceeded an adult's sodium intake limit for the day. Mmmm...salt...

January 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home