free hit counter Snacks, please!: I Resolve...

Friday, January 2, 2009

I Resolve...

Well, I've got some good ideas:

Reduce computer usage; master foreign language and chocolate souffle; stop squinting; learn to make fancy sausages?? quit my job and sell them to restaurants?? rent canal boat in Wales; give more hugs; tell more interesting bedtime stories (not so much about the children who get trapped in the grocery store overnight...); try bicycling to the office; conquer fear of cars??

Oh! Oh! I know, write book!!

Ha.

Okay, based on last year's success, I think I've got the key to resolutions. First, don't have too many. Second, make them sort of measurable, you know, like restrictive and soul-crushing public policies around education.

So, here goes:

1) This has nothing to do with the rights of animals, which aren't actually mentioned by George Mason in the Virginia Declaration of such. Nonetheless, because meat production consumes so much energy, I resolve to be meat-free at least once a week. (Recipes welcome!!)

PS -- My friend Mary at The Eleventh has actually gone off the deep end and tried a vegan diet! I'm not doing that. Just so you know.

2) Run a 10-mile race. I think this is doable, the only problem is finding one. The Cherry Blossom is already full, and the next one happens to fall on the only weekend in 2009 that I have plans for. Then there's the Army 10-miler in October, but that's perilously close to summer, and the last time I ran too far in the heat I went blind for 14 minutes and my neighbor had to guide me home, hand on elbow, so embarrassing, plus somebody died in that race last year. So we'll see... Could possibly substitute some other appropriate physical challenge. Ten-course dinner at Restaurant Eve? Or mini-triathlon?

3) Double current freelance workload. Last year I did a single freelance story and it was a nice diversion. (This blog is also a nice diversion, but it doesn't actually pay, except you know, in kindness and laughter.) So maybe this year I could try to do two?

And, not that anybody has asked, but let's think of some resolutions for the other adult in this house...

Let's see... reduce computer usage; give more hugs; master chocolate souffle; conquer fear of cleaning? Oh, I know!! Take wife to the Inn at Little Washington. Order "Marriage of Hot and Cold Foie Gras with Ice Wine Jelly and Grilled Black Mission Figs" for self. Remind Mary Ellen of 2008 letter-writing campaign, when 2.4 percent of the country's wackadoodles wrote to her to protest her published recipe for foie gras appetizer. (This is actually true...) Insist ME try beet mousse. Then go wash the minivan.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beet mousse? NASTY!

10-mile race is an audacious sounding goal. I'd rather eat vegan food. It's easier.

January 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are two recent, easy WP food section soups that are vegan and good. The first is fabulous, the second is supposed to be low-sodium, but I like it better with some added salt. And if you can handle eating vegetarian meat crumbles, my vegan uncle made us a pot pie for christmas that was fantastic. Tasted like beef stew (OK almost like beef stew) baked in Pillsbury crescent rolls. Yum.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/11/07/curried-pumpkin-and-chickpea-chowder/

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/12/31/garlicky-spinach-and-white-bean-soup/

January 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meat free? We do that several times a week now. Just make spaghetti sauce and add tons of grated carrots and/or other veggies instead of meatballs. They will never know. Also, tuna casserole is a staple here....hot and cold. I going to try to do more with fish and I can already hear the groans. Tried Mary's Peanut sauce yesterday and it was wonderful. I think I would pass on the coucous next time though and serve it with noodles. It was good....but I couldn't lose the Malt O Meal texture.

January 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Wasn't the 10-mile race last year???

Only once a week? You can make lots of Italian dished meat free. And eggplant is an excellent meat substitute. Vegan is much much harder because cheese is so yummy!

I don't think soup is a good idea at your house yet. They stain really easily. Might encourage the purchase of new artwork though (is that not a resolution?)

January 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Good ideas!!
Upon reflection, I don't think once a week is enough. We're already meat-free once a week, since we eat salmon like every Monday. (Lucy's favorite dinner? Crab legs...) But I have a harder time with total veggie meals. Twice a week!

January 5, 2009 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger What A Card said...

Whooo, 10 miles? I'm tired just thinking about it! (Just kidding, it actually sounds kind of fun. I used to be a runner before blowing out my knees and having to go into running-retirement).

As for veggie meals, this past summer I wrote for a vegetarian blog (which was hilarious given my intense love affair with meat). You might get some ideas here, as it is themed for vegetarian eating with children. Not that I had any luck getting *my* children to eat vegetables, but what can you do! They do eat the potato pancakes (the most recent post on the site), which might be a fun meal idea! http://veggieproject.blogspot.com/

Also, Mac and cheese is always a hit here for a vegetarian meal. If you want to get fancy, top it with sauteed shallots and goat cheese instead of crumbled ritz crackers before you bake it (or just make a box of Kraft...honestly, my boys prefer that to homemade!)

January 6, 2009 at 5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make a nice ghoulash with the veggie crumbles that I can give you the very simple recipe for. Hmm, also, I find that veggie hotdog and veggie hamburger nights are quite popular at our place.

January 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home