free hit counter Snacks, please!: Lucy is 4.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Lucy is 4.


Like Lucy says (to her father, never to me...sniff): "Where have you been? I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for you? It was so, so, so, so, SO LONG!"

Ah. You didn't even notice...

Well. Lucy is 4. And between all of that excitement, plus lots and lots of work, work, work, I've been like a bee. Busy. Not stinging anyone. Or dying with half of my butt in some kiddo's calf. But just busy all the same.

Lucy is 4!! The other day, she picked up a Maxfli golf ball and slowly turned it over in her hands, reading the letters very carefully: "This...ball...can be thrown...by 4-year-olds!"

For weeks before her birthday, she'd stand in front of me, posture perfect, and ask, "Do I look four now?" And I'd say, "Almost!" Now she balances on her tippiest-toes and asks, "Do I look five now??"

It's hard to believe she's 4. That's pretty old. I remember 4, which makes me think: 1) That it's almost the beginning of real life. and 2) I better watch what I say and do around her...

Today, with a little help, she read a word: MAP. Then MAD. And then, she ran into the bathroom, surprising David in the shower, "Where's my Clifford book? I need to see the letters in DOG."

You see what I'm saying here?? She's brilliant!!

She still says she wants to be a doctor when she grows up. But, at the same time, she refuses to accompany the babies to any appointments where they might suffer a shot. She can't stand the crying.

Her favorite book: "I Want to Be an Astronaut."
Her favorite song: "Baby Beluga."
Her favorite, most annoying thing to say: "I tole you!!"

At school, we hear, she is quiet and watchful. She likes to draw big-headed people and put together animal puzzles. But at home, she climbs on the dining room table and leads her crazy little sisters in a stomping tarantella.

Mostly, she is a kind, diligent sister. "Josephinie! If you don't eat your dinner, you'll never get big and fat like Poppa!" or "Margaret!! No taking! You are a very naughty girl!" She wags her finger at her babies and they wag right back, chattering in excited tones, "Nenennenee!" (I swear they're exactly like the monkeys in Caps For Sale.)

Everything that Lucy does, the babies want to do. Exactly. Especially Margaret. Lucy convinces Margaret, at least once a week, to collapse perfectly still on the floor so that Lucy can undress her. The idea is to redress her in some crazy costume, but that part is much harder.

At the same time, of course, my Lulu-love is still likely to fall to pieces when some injustice is committed against her, which happens all too often in this Congo-like state of ours. At those times, she needs her... wait a second! The nipple is gone! Oh, sweet nipple...

"I tole you I needed it!!"

Oh, how Lucy loved her dying Dr. Brown's nipples. One was bad. It had a hole. One was good. More than good, it was like strawberry milk and cuddles and Dol-fin and chicken nuggets with ranch dressing and everything perfect in this world. Back when she was 3, she gave up the bottle. But she clung to the nipple. Squeak! Squeak! It was kind of convenient to be able to hear her, all through the house. But bad for her bite. And we had been telling her for months -- as did her pediatrician and dentist -- that it would have to go at 4.

So we boxed it up and sent it to Santa Claus, who it turns out went to high school with Lucy's Poppa! What a coincidence. Lucy figured it out -- two white-haired heads and two big jolly bellies. They must be friends, right?

Anyway, we celebrated Lucy's birthday a big moon bounce party. Except... through bureaucratic incompetence (what kind of nincompoops work for Arlington County???) the moon bounce never showed up! I wrote a letter, sent it to the county board chair, county manager, etc. Me, at my meanest: "In tight economic times, perhaps the county should focus its resources on services that it actually can deliver to county residents."

Aha! That was mean, right? But I still haven't gotten a response.

In the meantime, life goes on. We bounce around just fine without it.

(Did you see the cake?? Eight turrets!!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AW!!! Happy Birthday Lucy!

November 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Ryter said...

Ah my sweet! I know it was the happiest birthday ever! And mom makes cakes like I do. Wait till you are eight and want a Frankenstein for your Mad Scientist birthday. Just have her send me an email.....wink.

November 20, 2008 at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home