free hit counter Snacks, please!: Inauguration fever!!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Inauguration fever!!

Aaaack!

Okay, first there's the free concert on Sunday in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Bruce Springsteen! Even better, Bono!! How am I going to get there? Hm. Bicycle, I think, since the Secret Service "is insane," says U.S. Congressman Jim Moran, and has closed every single bridge between VA and DC. So fine, pedal, pedal, pedal... Is it possible Bono will pull me from the crowd?? No. Not possible.

On Monday, there's the Day of Service and I've signed up to help get books to kids in Uganda. That is, I will be loading a truck.

And then, then, then, Tuesday is Inauguration Day! I do have a ticket. One single, standing-room only ticket to history -- or, more specifically, the area near the reflecting pool. Again, I'm on the bicycle. Because the Secret Service has closed every single bridge between VA and DC. (Is that any way to reward Virginians for voting blue for the first time in 40 years??)

And then, then, then, I have a ball ticket! Actually a press pass -- to a ball where the tix cost $2,500 per couple. Oh. My. God. And Ted Kennedy is going to be there. Have I talked about my love of Ted Kennedy? If I could get a picture of myself with Ted Kennedy...it's going on the wall, baby. I haven't blown up any picture from my wedding, mind you. But I'd have Ted on my wall, for sure.

I am scampering over to Auntie Pamela's place to try on dresses. I do not actually own a single long dress... But I'm also covering my bases -- and ordered a fabulous red one from Bluefly. (Vera Wang, $130). That's a bargain, right? I had a Vera Wang wedding dress. (Which I bought on eBay, because I do like bargains...)

Okay, I'm off to twitter and flitter around the office.

Oh yes, you know this is all really about hope, right? I am hopeful. I am excited about my red dress, but I'm also excited about this country. (P.S. My new crush? Steven Chu. What a cutie...)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you going to ride your bicycle in your new red dress?

January 15, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Very impressive agenda! We're doing nothing at all except take down Xmas decorations and shiver in our drafty house.

Oh! Anthropologie has a fantastic sale on ball-ish dresses. Maybe you can bike to Georgetown to check it out if the Vera Wang one doesn't work.

January 16, 2009 at 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right on the bikes. Here's a link to an NPR story about bike valets available on Tuesday.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99450266


Also, what's your twitter handle? Mine is lwjane

Jane in Florida

January 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chu's a nice guy. My colleagues worked with him at the Optics Society before he won the Nobel. Good to journal editors, and of course, very smart.

January 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home