free hit counter Snacks, please!: If our clothes could talk...

Monday, April 14, 2008

If our clothes could talk...

The sweaters say buh-bye! See you in September! (Or October. Or November. Or maybe even later, as the world transforms itself into one large bayou.)

I spent a lot of time this past weekend dragging storage containers upstairs and down, delighting over my summer things (hello ladybug dress! hello sailboat skirt!) and lingering over the matching pink woolly sweaters that Josephine and Margaret wore to the park before spring arrived. That made me a little bit sad. Everybody is getting so big, so fast.

What I'm not sad about: David is getting rid of his 80s shirts!

Yes. It's true! After 20 years in the closet, the gold shirt with puffy sleeves and his pal, the sneaky one with the slit pocket and dropped shoulders, are moving on. Since they haven't been outside in years -- preferring to hang out by the back wall, listening to Siouxsie and sipping Absolut and tonic -- this will be good for them. They will no doubt meet lots of new friends at the Goodwill. (These new friends will be super-coolio 19-year-olds, who will wear them with irony and skinny ties.)

Says me: I think you look better in fitted shirts.

Says David: Well, I was much skinnier then.

Says me: You were like Prince! A skinny guy in big shirts.

Says him: I was like Prince!

He continues (seriously): Prince was really the first positive role model for short men. Him and Napoleon. But Napoleon wasn't so positive. Not like Prince.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the first positive role model for short men"

I prefer the idea of Peter Pan as filling that role.

April 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

And oddly, not surprised by this

April 14, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

We still keep some of our 80's clothes (well, just the ones we got married in) stored downstairs, if only so that when we see cool 19 year olds, we can say "I have CLOTHES older than you!"

Oddly, it doesn't come out as confident as it used to.

April 14, 2008 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger What A Card said...

Hee, I love Prince! He is a good role model for short men, far better than Napoleon.

I have to admit, I can't seem to part with some of my 80's wear. A sugarcubes concert tee, for example, just can't ever seem to make it into the "donate pile", despite the fact that I'm fairly unlikely to wear clothing with the day-glo colors this shirt is printed in.

April 16, 2008 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Daav said...

Just be happy my motorcycle is not purple! But otherwise, Prince would be one of the three historic figures I'd invite over for dinner. (They don't have to be dead, do they?)

April 19, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home