free hit counter Snacks, please!: Hop, hopping away!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Hop, hopping away!

So, I hear that Hops is closing. Which is too bad. In my opinion, it was the best of all those lousy chain restaurants. (My opinion was largely swayed by the free pastries, drizzled with melted sugar, or what purported to be sugar, that started every meal there.) In any case, it was waaay better than Applebee's, the worst of those lousy chain restaurants, where the lemon pasta once made me throw up -- during a school board meeting. Ugh.

Anyway, I am reminded of my second-to-last Hops meal, which was many, many years ago. I was having lunch with a school board candidate who revealed, not long after the pastries were devoured, that she had terminated a pregnancy as a teenager. "Really," I said calmly. (Inside, I said, "Whaaa?! Hello! Why are you telling me this?? We're talking about your candidacy here!!") I did have about three seconds of Pulitzer dreams (I'm kidding, REALLY), and then filed it away under NEVER TO BE SPOKEN OF.

And no, she didn't win anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw "Hops" I thought, "I went there once in South Carolina. I wonder if they still bring you those sweet roll things with the sauce..."

And per the school board candidate: I applaud the one person with political aspirations who actually runs on the "Children Are Not Necessarily Our Future" platform. ;-)

January 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home