free hit counter Snacks, please!: Don't Stop Believin'!

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Don't Stop Believin'!

So, I was doing a little research at work (yes, it's come to that, already...) on "prom babies" -- the so-called phenomenon of girls getting pregnant on prom night.

The only evidence I could find -- A letter from "Worried Dad in Alpharetta," who wrote: "Dear Abby, I first heard about (this alarming trend) while driving my teenage daughter to a lacrosse meet with several of her girlfriends. One girl in the car, 'Carrie,' said she hoped this year she could have a prom baby (like two of their former classmates)... Abby, both of the girls were studious and hardworking...one had been accepted to several Ivy League schools!"

Eh. I doubt it.

Far more interesting was the second letter on the page!

"Dear Abby, I have a 4-year-old who tends to act up from time to time. I have tried 'time-outs' and even soft spanking and have taken his privileges away. Nothing seems to work. However, I have found that smashing one of his small toys with a hammer works well. Do you see any danger in this form of punishment? -- YOUNG MOM IN OKLAHOMA"

Eeeee! I seriously HOPE this one isn't real either!! Good grief. I have a friend in Boston who puts his daughter's toys "in jail" when she's naughty. Weird, yes... but probably not ruinous. In 20 years, I predict she'll be a public defender. Maybe she'll even work on the case of this crazy Okie kid who killed his mother with a hammer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

We all know that the child whose toys go to jail is going to be a third world despot when she gets older! She's just learning that the answer to all life's problems is throw it in jail. As if she would do anything as service minded as defending people!

I know a superhot 20 year old who I always call my prom mistake. Ends up he's adopted, so he really could have been! If I had had a really hot date. Or a date at all.

September 6, 2007 at 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the kid's letter to Dear Abby:
"Dear Abby, When I'm bad my mother takes a hammer and bashes my toys. I'd think she was batpoop insane, but the reality is, seeing my Mighty Morphin Power Rangers get demolished with a hammer is infinitely cooler than just playing with them all regular like."

September 6, 2007 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Pamela! Why do you continue to deny our teenage love?! Can't we just confess: We went to the senior prom TOGETHER! It was totally avant-garde. We'd be the cool kids today...

Cynthia, I'm just wondering who is batpoop insane here.

September 6, 2007 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

No, your date was GiGi. Yes, GiGi of the great loungie game "GiGi's crazy" (imagine if she ever finds this blog! And you're paranoid about the Opie finding it!)

September 10, 2007 at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home