free hit counter Snacks, please!: Playgroup politics

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Playgroup politics

Well, I tried to make new friends the other weekend, but again, I say, like my nephew William, after his first day of school, "All the friends are taken." Ha! No, that's not actually what I said. What I said (to myself, of course) was a little more complicated, something like, "Oh, good grief, no, I don't think my life has 'great new purpose' these days... and if you hate your nanny so much and can't stand 'sharing your babies' with her all day, well, do I really have to tell you what to do?...and, ladies, come on, you can still read the HEADLINES at least, can't you??"

And then, I think, "Well, at least the snacks here are good."

Just so you know, I do have mommy friends -- and they're pretty normal (as normal as me, that is...) -- but since we moved to Arlington, I haven't met too many new people and I thought it might be a good idea to go to a new "twins" playgroup, in the interest of making more local friends. I have to say, I don't think it worked out, although I did try. I just couldn't kill the inner monster that says, "Lucy makes more interesting conversation!"

I did see David's boss' wife, who had twins about a month before me. Weird, huh? She's very nice. She and her husband brought the pizza, which was smart thinking. I brought the sugar cookies, which also were pretty good. Of course, the skinny, nanny-burdened mother brought the fruit...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Lucy makes EXTREMELY interesting conversation, so that's not a fair standard to set for other mommies, daddies, or even grandparents.

May 16, 2007 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home