free hit counter Snacks, please!: My Fair Lady

Monday, April 16, 2007

My Fair Lady

Oh, I made one of those embarrassing mistakes this weekend! Like asking somebody when their baby is due... and, you know, they're not actually pregnant... (A hostess at a Thai restaurant asked me that once, when I was grabbing take-out before a school board meeting. She said, "Oh, hungry, yes? Eating for two!" and patted her tummy. She was obviously insane, because I was NOT pregnant and I was running like four miles a day back then and I didn't look pregnant either. It was just a big shirt! And half of that food was for the Sun-Sentinel reporter, I swear.)

Anyway, Lucy and I, and Auntie Pamela too, were at the Arlington County library book sale, and one of their younger volunteers was very helpfully picking out books for Lucy. He grabbed a Dora counting book and then a Teletubbies book (totally bizarre, as you might expect, a pink cloud floats into the Teletubby house and then La-La drops her tubbie custard on the floor!) and every time, I'd say, "Oh, Lucy, look! What a nice boy! He brought you another book! Thank you, thank you!"
He was about 8, I guess.

But he was a GIRL!
She was even wearing a nametag that said Olivia!

Ack. I felt very bad. She had a cute little blond haircut (much like Lucy...) and I don't know why I thought she was a boy. But when we were leaving, she handed us one last one -- a puppy with googly eyes -- and said, "I think maybe he'll like this one too."

Oooh...Fair play to you, girlie.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHAHAHA, you got schooled by an 8-year-old! Glad to see they're teaching snark in schools today.

April 17, 2007 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I could not beleive you did that! But I couldn't really say in front of her "that's a girl." Plus, you're the mom, so I thought you knew something I didn't.
So as the coda to the story, I ran into the little girl at Orvis on Saturday!! (you know Arlington, everyone friendly so her mom was all chatty and we got to the booksale). I praised her to the high heavens on what a great, helpful little GIRL she was and told her Lucy was enjoying the book. Probably doesn't matter- she's so scared for life. It's ok when you call a baby by the wrong sex, but an 8 year-old?

April 23, 2007 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Meant scarred, not scared. But maybe scared too. Of crazy old ladies who think she's a boy.

April 23, 2007 at 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home