free hit counter Snacks, please!: Racing ahead

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Racing ahead

So Auntie Pamela and I have registered for a 10K this weekend! Very exciting.

That's 6.2 miles for those of you who didn't study the metric system in 1978.

One potential problem: Now that it's heating up, I have to make the switch from long running pants to short running shorts...and it's really not working out. I have two or three modestly cut pairs, and I've found that the hem hits the fattest part of my American thighs. Swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe! (Yank!) Swipe, swipe, swipe! Yank! I look like some kind of nut, grabbing my crotch at every stop sign. Plus, it's slowing me down!

Side note: When I was in high school, everybody bought the exact same kind of nylon shorts from Herb's Sporting Goods in downtown Hartford. They were not a slinky nylon like basketball shorts, but a crunchy nylon. Like a tent maybe. (Unfortunately, they didn't cover quite that well...) I had pairs in red, white (not a good color), navy, maroon and Kelly green. They were actually a little shorter than anybody liked, so you had to tug the waistband down as far as possible. Unfortunately, this freed the belly to bob up and down like a buoy at sea while you ran loops around the soccer field. (What? That didn't happen to your belly??)

Anyhoo, go shorter? Ha. Not a chance. Go longer? Probably not a very good look either. David suggests bicycle shorts, but I say they don't breathe appropriately. I don't want my legs to suffocate and die.

The route takes us around the Pentagon. I will, of course, stop to kick dirt on warmongers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

If your biggest concern is what to wear...

May 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home