free hit counter Snacks, please!: Hello Lilly!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hello Lilly!

I wandered into Filene's Basement yesterday, looking for not-too-tight khaki pants and found... a $12 pair of Lilly Pulitzer blue-crab pants! Oh, what a find. I eagerly await summer.

In other news: The other night, Oh! Margaret spilled Lulu's milk on our laptop computer...So, do not expect to hear much from me in the near future.

In the meantime, Thanksgiving plans are moving forward. The cranberry sauce is done! Tonight I shall roast the butternut squash. Yes, it will look like baby food when it's done... but I don't so much mind that. (My personal favorite is the apple/blueberry mix from Earth's Best.) The carpet has been steam cleaned for the THIRD time in the past two weeks. Auntie Pamela's Diet Coke has disappeared. Lucy's green magic marker has disappeared. Josephine's sweet potatoes are gone too. The green finger paint? Eh. Not so much.

Last night, in a semi-paranoid fit, I drove to Harris Teeter (two days before Thanksgiving!) and bought a new turkey. The frozen Butterball (which came so highly recommended by Cook's Ill'd) is not big enough, I fear. Although our party has suffered some defections, we're still 10 adults and four children (and two babies) and we have a 13-pound bird. (David's calculations!!) Big enough?? I didn't think so!!

Now we have a 20-pound bird.

As Lucy says, "EVERYBODY likes turkey."

Oh! Confessions of a crazy parent: I am sick of SOMEBODY refusing to pick up her toys! So, the other day, when she took out her My Little Pony party set, which is full of teeny-tiny cakes and party favors that I believe Margaret or Josephine could choke to death on, and scattered them across the rug, and then promptly abandoned them for something else -- and then refused, repeatedly, to pick them up, I said, "Lucy! I am going to throw your toys in the garbage, if you do not pick them up." Wait, wait, wait.

"Okay, this makes me VERY SAD," I called, as I went looking in the cabinets for a Ziploc sandwich bags. Found one! Filled it with My Little Pony party fun and (loudly) dropped it into the kitchen garbage. (I am not completely mean. I used a Ziploc in the hopes that a penitent child could get them out, unscathed by eggshells and soggy Cheerios.) Mostly, she was unfazed. But, about an hour later, I caught her peeking into her garbage.

"You see your toys, huh," I said.

"Yeeeees," she said sadly.

"It's too bad you didn't put them away when Mommy asked," I said, every bit as sad.

"If, if, if, I put them away now like you ask me to, can I go put them away?" she asked hopefully.

"Ohhhhhh-kay," I said.

3 Comments:

Blogger WriterChickNj said...

Wait a minute, I thought you were going to make David buy a new turkey! So now you have a 13-pound and a 20-pound. Wow. Send me some sandwiches.

November 21, 2007 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger WriterChickNj said...

You are not going to believe this! BOTH my e-mails to you on my AOL account bounced back! Your work computer will not accept my work e-mail OR my AOL e-mail. It is rejecting me. Sniff. I was writing to tell you that I posted new stuff on my AOL blog.
http://journals.aol.com/ksqwrite/RandomReality/

November 21, 2007 at 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that the trashcan ruse totally worked. You are a great parent.
And Maggie and Xander say they volunteer to dispose of any leftover turkey--free of charge to you, of course.

November 21, 2007 at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home