free hit counter Snacks, please!: Chasing the golden cow

Monday, October 22, 2007

Chasing the golden cow

So, first Brownback. Now... me? Is it time to end the campaign?

Let's review: I have been pumping milk for the babies for eight months, which is a verrry long time. I started out six times a day with a daily production rate of...I don't know, probably over 40 ounces. (I love these industrial metaphors.) These days, I try to find time for three pumps, but sometimes I just get two -- and so I'm only getting like 8 ounces, which isn't very much at all.

So now I'm thinking: Is it even worth it?? Because, let's face it, it's a pain in the ass. I mean, it's not so bad at work, when I can close my door and check out the sales rack at Zappos. (I kid. Of course.) But it's hard to find time at home, especially during the day. (Night is okay. Me and Bret Michaels and my pump are a joyful (noisy) threesome.) Of course, the milk is very good for the babies. It is full of good fats and natural antibodies and is, as they say, a mother's greatest gift to her child. (That and a wicked sense of sarcasm.) And it's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than their super-duper special formula, which is costing me up to $300 a month.

But eight ounces?? I am tempted by this drug, domperidone, which is supposed to increase milk supply -- without turning either me or the babies into shivering addicts. I could get it from New Zealand without a prescription! (Come on, you know the FDA is in Big Pharm's pocket...) But then, I think, oh dear...I'm turning into the Chris Dodd of the breast pumping world. This is clearly a losing battle!

(One more thing to consider: My breatpump talks to me. Sometimes it wheezes, "Go to bed. Go to bed. Go to bed." If I turn it off forever, will I no longer hear the voice of God?? Hm. Another thing to consider -- and this is really what this whole post is about...knowing that the milk is good for the babies, and knowing that I do have the ability to give them a little bit every day, would I be a BAD MOTHER if I decided to let them drink formula and eat leaves for the next four months?)

1 Comments:

Blogger MyFullPlate said...

Dom was my buddy for nearly a year but he was hard to come by.Every time that postman came with my package from New Zealand, I expected the FBI to be right behind him! Do they let you pump in prison?? I didn't care at that point...my kiddos got what they needed. If you want it, I can give you some tips about where to get it.

October 22, 2007 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home