free hit counter Snacks, please!: How nice it would be to be HOV!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How nice it would be to be HOV!

The quality of my life improved a whole 2.7 percentage points this morning (which is a lot) -- when I shaved 20 minutes off of my morning commute! Hooray! I'm back on HOV, baby!

Since I returned to work, I've been driving alone on local roads -- with every other sad singleton. I was forced off the HOV-only highway when my old passenger, my disloyal daughter, was converted to public transportation by her hippy father. (Outrageous. What happened to rights of all tax-paying Americans to sing 80s hits in PRIVATE?!) On a good day, it takes me 50 minutes to go six miles. I could run faster! If, you know, I could run faster... One horrible day, it took ONE HOUR and FIFTEEN MINUTES.

Anyway, today I picked up a passenger -- a very nice woman with a 6-month-old son named Samson. She also commutes with a breastpump. (I haven't told her yet about the Public Pumpers Unite campaign. Maybe next week.) We listened to NPR. We had civilized chatter. There was no singing. But maybe next week. I met her through Commuter Connections, which is sort of like eHarmony for people who love cars.

With her by my side, we were able to get on I-66, where I gave a little nod (smug) to the THREE police cars pulling over HOV offenders on the on-ramp. Door-to-door, it took 30 minutes. I am so happy to be HOV!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

Crazy lady! Try going all the way down Lee Highway until the Key Bridge- you shouldn't get much traffic.
You could do the public transport thing yourself :)

September 25, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please to report in the future in Carpool Buddy anticipates cutting her son's hair. just curious.

September 25, 2007 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Oh Pamela... I'll pick you up the next time I go down Lee Highway. You can keep me company while we sit there. And sit there.

Etc. -- I think she fears he'd stop growing!

September 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home