free hit counter Snacks, please!: I'll take a wrench to that Romanian girl!

Monday, July 9, 2007

I'll take a wrench to that Romanian girl!

Last week, we put the girls to bed in their crib. Woo, relief. They fell right asleep. Later, after eating peach crisp with some friends, I went back to check on them... and Josephine was asleep on her back! What's this??! I know I had put her to sleep on her belly! Hmm. I wondered -- was it possible that one of our guests, a third-year medical student, had become so alarmed at the sight of a baby on her belly that he had pretended to go to the loo, but actually snuck into her room and soundlessly flipped her over? It was possible. A little crazy, maybe, but definitely POSSIBLE.

So I didn't say anything.

Since then, it's become clear that Josephine is a gymnast in the making! I mean, really, whoever heard of a barely 3-month-old baby (I adjust their age, when convenient...) flipping over! I am so proud! I'm also a little peeved. She NEVER EVER rolls over when I am present!

And then, this morning, Margaret appeared on her back! Big Margaret! She of the poor muscle tone! The girl whose previous attempts at self-directed navigation had amounted to this: "Turn me over!! I'm done here! MOMMY! DADDY! You, bigger girl! I'm losing my patience! NOW!!!!"

So it's clear that they don't take after me. Thirty-five years old and I have never done a cartwheel and, as the years go by, it seems like I never will. Sniff. I will live vicariously through them. We'll mount the parallel bars together.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read the headline I thought, "Hmm, I guess the au pair's not working out..."

July 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Ha! I used the wrong implement anyway. I think Tonya Harding's cohorts used a pipe, not a wrench. In the billiards room with Professor Plum.

July 10, 2007 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I thought the same thing as Cynthia!

July 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home