free hit counter Snacks, please!: A night's sleep for my kingdom, please

Thursday, March 12, 2009

A night's sleep for my kingdom, please

Margaret!!!

From 1 to 4 a.m., she was awake every 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes, standing in the corner of her crib, closest to the door, wailing, "Moooommmmy!" Alarming Josephine, who just wants to sleep for the love of GOD, and waking Lucy, who would pitifully cry, "She won't let me sleeeeep!"

And there was nothing wrong with her. Her diaper was changed. Her jammies were comfy. If this was the first time, maybe I'd cut her some slack -- but Miss Margaret has gotten into the habit recently of demanding an awful lot of non-specific night-time parenting. We put her in our bed. She lay there awake for an hour, kicking; we put her back in her crib, she shrieked. Josie cried. Lucy moaned. Finally, we took out the Pack-n-Play, put her in the family room -- she slept for a half-hour, then completely lost her head, somehow climbed out of the crib, which is taller than she, and delivered herself in a sobbing heap of blobby snot and curly hair outside our door.

And then she slept for the last two hours of the night.

But, of course, I did not.

On the lighter side, or not, if you count calories, I made clam chowder for dinner last night. Lucy stirred it a little and then said, "I can't find the chicken!" David peered over and said, "Well it's right there!" So she tried again, taking a spoonful to her lips and then exclaiming, "Oh yes! It's bubble gum chicken!"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think she's having nightmares? A reaction to her recent minor health issues?
I do that a lot too (the waking, not the crying), but 1) it's mostly from anxiety, and 2) Forrest and dogs sleep through anything, so I have only books to console me.

March 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your pain!

March 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger What A Card said...

Mmm, clam chowder. Or bubble gum chicken, as the case may be. Now I want some clam chowder!

I hope the sleeping situation improves soon!

March 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give her a balloon to play with. Babies love balloons!

March 12, 2009 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Oh dear! I had a child up coughing for 2 hours last night ... but at least something was wrong with her. Sending peaceful sleeping vibes your way.

March 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home