free hit counter Snacks, please!: Back from the beach

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back from the beach

The worst of the worst:
Did I say it would be a 12-hour car ride?? Ha. We tried out a new route, one that was intended to steer us away from bright lights and through the less trafficked roads of eastern Ohio (I am only slightly exaggerating), and it took 14 hours. We ate mushy peas in Scranton, PA. And the DVD player broke.

This is Lucy, asleep with Dolphin. I don't know why she's blindfolded, but I suspect it's because the traffic around her was such a disturbing sight.


The best of the best:
Who knew that the babies would like the beach so much?? When Lucy was a little baby, it was like she'd watched Jaws in utero. She refused to let her feet touch the sand. Aaah, it's killing me!! She screamed at the seaweed and she'd nearly climb on your head if you dared bring her into the surf. The babies, on the other hand, mixed their Cheerios with sand and gleefully ate it all. They charged into the water, grabbed hermit crabs and tortured them by pulling their little bodies out of their shells, and they kicked, kicked, kicked us as we tried desperately to keep them in our arms. "You don't know how to swim, Margaret!" Yes, yes, yes, if you'd just let GO OF ME, MOTHER! "No, you don't, Margaret! You are a baby!!!"

Margaret on the beach:


Josephine on the beach:


The food:
One lobster roll.
"Can I have more of that pink stuff?" says Lucy.
Two seared diver scallops with pureed celery root.
Three stuffed zucchini blossoms.
Twelve Wellfleet oysters on the half shell.
Lots and lots of fried eggplant. My favorite!
And here, the best birthday cake ever:


Yes! That is a gummy shark that you see!

The reading:
Oh, Maureen Dowd. I'm sorry I couldn't finish your book. I completely, whole-heartedly agree that the current trend toward anti-feminism is disturbing as hell. I do dislike (as much as you do) the new little Mrs., who traded her Yale degree for a cute apron from Anthropologie. (And can it be true? Did you really find an L.A. playgroup where the women introduce themselves with this question: "Tell everybody what your husband does!" Because that makes me a wee bit sick.) But still, you depress me. And I don't want to be depressed on vacation.

So, instead I read War & Peace. Not all of it, but I'm making good progress. It's for my crazy book club -- I had suggested Gone With The Wind, mostly because I thought we could go to Georgia Brown's for dinner, and it wouldn't take too long to read. Instead I got Tolstoy.

The biking/running/hiking:
David did a yeoman's job of carrying around three children on one bicycle. (What an ass! Get it? Ha? Ha? No, not funny. You're right.) But I carried the bag of snacks. Yes, I did! And juice bags are not light!


The running was quite nice. I had some sandy routes past big houses, and a paved route past the beach. I took the babies on one run and Lucy on another, and it turns out that it is possible to push them in the jogging stroller. So now I think I'm going to try to find a 5K (a flat one!) this fall to do with two out of three children.

I'm a little paranoid about ticks. I think Cape Cod is like the capital of the world of Lyme Disease, but we did get into the Audobon Wildlife Sanctuary one day and found all sorts of fiddler crabs, waving their arms furiously at us. (I have a joke about Rome in my head, but it's not worth writing down.) Anyway, Margaret thinks it's more fun to hike upside-down.


And here's Lucy:


Also, because I promised my niece, here's a picture of her with the girls, who do absolutely love her to death. This is not our boat! I wish.

5 Comments:

Blogger Maryanne said...

I love all these photos, love reading your blog and hope that I get to see all of you very soon.
xo
Maryanne

July 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Ryter said...

Awesome vacation!! I am jealous. Glad you made it home in one piece....along all thouse 'less traveled' roads.

July 30, 2008 at 3:59 AM  
Blogger What A Card said...

Welcome back! It looks like a fun trip!

But wait: don't tell me you were in the Boston area but didn't go to the MOT Convention. Although I guess it would be worse if you did go but I didn't meet you!

Anyway, glad to have you back to blogging!

July 30, 2008 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger WriterChickNj said...

"War and Peace" on the beach?? Are you on crack. No, no, no.
I want some more lobster roll, too! I remember eating some good lobster roll at a restaurant near the beach in Delray Beach.

I am gla dyou had fun at the beach. We go to see Aunt M.M. Buechner next week and to Stone Harbor NJ at the end of August.

July 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

SO jealous- of the beach and food, not the drive! (told you it was longer!).

Love the new baby hairdos!

July 31, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home