free hit counter Snacks, please!: Germs, germs!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Germs, germs!

For the second time in two weeks, the girls and I have turned down an invitation to play because I have suspected that our would-be playmates are actually germ-infected demons waiting to take my babies back to Hell (i.e., Georgetown Hospital.) I'm not entirely comfortable with the new paranoid mommy-me, but what can I do? I really don't want them to get sick again! And yes, I do know that the world is FULL of germs and I can't possibly stop them all with a little hand sanitizer, but I can try, right??

Margaret is feeling fine. She still gets that creepy concavity in her sternum when she cries or yawns, and I am going to ask the doctor about it tomorrow, but her congestion is gone. Josephine is much better too -- but she STILL wakes up in the morning like my father (who has smoked for 50 years) with a cough and snort. Last week, after she threw up a hunk of flem, I Googled cystic fibrosis -- and yes, I know I'm crazy, I hope I am anyway, but you'd start wondering too after SEVEN weeks of constant respiratory complaint!! Anyway, I don't think she has it. For one thing, it's a white person's disease, and I don't think David qualifies. (Half-Sicilian Jews are considered Black by the U.S. State Deartment. Really.) For another, I licked their heads after a hot stroll -- you all should be honored that I willingly admit my craziness to you -- and I don't think they had unusually salty sweat. Truth be told, I'm not sure they actually had ANY sweat...which is probably a symptom of some other terrible disease.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Don't be so hard on yourself. They're preemies, it's gonna take a while for their immune systems to catch up, so you have to be careful. You're not crazy, you're a Mom.

June 7, 2007 at 5:29 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Hm. It is very nice of you to say so.

June 7, 2007 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger WriterChickNj said...

I have to take Little Dude in for a cystic fibrosis test just to be sure, since the birth mom is a carrier and birth dad was never tested. Eeek. So I feel your anxiety.

June 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Oh dear. Did you try licking his head? Seriously. It might make you feel better. Also, this is gross, but the websites say CF children have "oily poop" -- I'm not sure what that is, but I think I'd recognize it if I saw it...

June 12, 2007 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home