free hit counter Snacks, please!: The Flag of Friendship

Monday, June 11, 2007

The Flag of Friendship

We visited the old hood in the city this weekend and had a great time -- as well as an inspired angel food and fruit trifle. Our former neighbors are so nice! And interesting. There we were, performing the ring-chain trick over the pregnant belly of a Guantanamo human rights lawyer, keeping an eye on the kiddies (no peeing in the pool!), and thinking: Why exactly did we move??!

Was it that time our neighbor was sitting in his car, not one block from our house, and a man slid into the passenger seat and jabbed a gun into his ribs? Because he's fine!! Was it the media center at the corner school? The one without new books? Because if you consider it a "classics" library, it sounds much nicer, no?

Well, whatever, we're here now -- in the land of milk and honey, and parks and libraries, and an overwhelming Democratic majority, and I think I have identified our problem in making new friends. It's the damn flag on our house.

Now, I love America. I get tingles from that crappy Lee Greenwood song and I loved, loved, loved Johnny Tremaine when I was a little girl. (I used to try to pick up things without my thumb, so that I could understand his sacrifice!!) My grandparents were very happy to come here -- except for one, who wrote pathetic letters to the Irish government, begging to be allowed back in. (That's a whole other story...) But the flag, which the old owners NAILED to the house...well, I'm afraid it says, "I voted for W!" Which I didn't!! Or even worse, "I support the war in Iraq!"

But what do I do? It's like crucified up there. Would it be unpatriotic to tear it down? Am I going to have to find a troop of Boy Scouts to preside over an official burial? I know I'm not supposed to just throw it in the trash with the poopy diapers and watermelon rinds that I refuse to throw in the compost because that plague-ridden rat is eating them. In any case, it seems like a hell of a lot of work, no doubt involving aluminum extension ladders and Holy Water... is it worth making new friends? Hm. I wonder.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I was wondering when you were going to do something about that- it does scream very I love W and guns. Which is silly, since it's our flag too! Keep it up! Reclaim it for the liberals- we can make a peace sign out of fairy lights to go over it!

June 11, 2007 at 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny because I was contemplating asking my building if they minded if I put up the flag on the Fourth of July. We've got the flag pole holder right over the entrance and everything. Then I realized that I'd probably get lynched.
But I'm with Pamela. It's our country, too!

June 12, 2007 at 12:37 PM  
Blogger Once Revelant, Now Mama said...

Never noticed the flag...how clueless am I?

But we LOVED having you guys over this weekend in the former 'hood. Anya told a story about Baby Margaret (oh no! She's showing favorites?!)in which all kinds of hijinks were had. Crazy Baby Margaret.

June 14, 2007 at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home